Back to Frankie's
THE PEARL, John Steinbeck Chapter 2
- (P.15) Label this diagram with the words stern, prow, and paddles which are in the text:
- (P.15) "This was the bed that had raised the King of Spain to be a great power in Europe in past years, had helped to pay for his wars …" What does the author mean?
- (P.15/16) Explain simply and clearly how a pearl is formed. Use a diagram if you wish.
- (P.16/17) How does Kino manage to stay on the seabed? (Normally, a person would float to the surface.)
- (P.16/17) What metaphor is used to describe Kino’s hope and excitement as he searches for pearls?
- (P.17) What was the "ghostly gleam" that Kino glimpsed?
- (P.19) What two things does the author compare the pearl to?