Back to Frankie's
Solomon's Cat, David Holman
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY
Read the article, The One That Got Away, and answer the following questions.
1. What is the main topic of the article? (Choose one.)a) The dangers of living in Northern Pakistan
b) The behaviour of snow leopards
c) The relationship between snow leopards and humans
d) The International Snow Leopard Trust
2. What was the “unwanted guest” on Ulfat Karim’s farm?
3. What damage did it cause?
4. How did Ulfat Karim capture the animal?
5. How did Ulfat find food for the animal?
6. In the end, what did Ulfat and his friends do with the animal?
7. Where do snow leopards live?
8. Give three reasons why snow leopards are endangered.
9. a) Give one reason why the villagers might want to kill snow leopards.
b) Think of another reason why people might kill snow leopards. (The answer is not in the article.)
c) Think of at least one reason why Ulfat Karim and the other villagers did not kill the leopard.
10. Read the last paragraph. What does Qurban Jan mean when he says “Otherwise the next leopard… will not be treated so kindly” ?
11. What word is used to describe all of the following animals?
sheep, goats, cattle, horses, donkeys, camels, dogs
12. Match the following words/phrases to their meanings:
guest Par.1 very dry intruder Par.1 someone who visits you arid Par.2 hard to see, secretive habitat Par.3 a troublesome person/thing elusive Par.3 someone who enters without permission nuisance Par.3 the natural home of a plant/animal distinguish Par.3 to kill another animal for food prey on Par.8 animals kept on a farm livestock Par.8 to see the difference between two things